RSVP to Earth Week on Facebook!
Below is a listing of events planned so far for Earth Week 2011. This schedule is subject to final changes and will always be updated with the most current information.
Friday April 8th
- 3:00pm – Final Power Shift Information Meeting – Location: Room 212 Bernhard Center
For students interested in registering and attending Power Shift April 15-18th in Washington, DC. This meeting will have the most current information on the trip, both for students who have already registered and those who are interested.
- 5:00pm – Campus Beet Menu Tasting – Location: East Ballroom Bernhard Center
Help support an organic, local, artistic, student led-cafe by attending this Menu Tasting event.
Saturday April 9th
- 12:00-4:00pm Really Really Free Market – Location: Kiva Room (bottom of Faunce)
Bring anything in useable condition that you want to get rid of, come get anything you may need (clothes, tools, bikes, etc) for free! Come support a shared space for the Really Really Free Market on campus.
Sunday April 10th
- 12:00-5:00pm – Earth Fest featuring Ox Plow – Location: Gibbs House (map)
Featuring the oxen plowing by the Student Garden Organization and music by the Peace Center. In addition there will be food and SSE will be featuring tabling and arts/crafts involvement. A bike ride out to the Gibbs House will be leaving at 11:30 from the flagpoles at WMU- ride with a group!
Monday April 11th
- 7:00pm – Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association Presentation – Location: Chemistry Building room 1720
Come hear a great presentation by the GLREA on renewable energy in the Great Lakes by Jennifer Alvarado, Executive Director of GLREA.
Tuesday April 12th
- 7:00pm – Midwest High Speed Rail Association Presentation – Location: Chemistry Building room 1720
High speed rail is one of the most politically discussed issues right now, with the federal government offering millions in funding all across the country the push for high speed rail has never been greater. Kalamazoo is currently one of the few cities in the country serviced by a high speed rail line. Come learn more about this 21st century form of transportation by Richard Harnish, Executive Director of MHSRA.
Wednesday April 13th
- 12:00pm-2:00pm – Western Wednesday Sustainability Edition – Location: Flagpoles
Come join the Western Student Association’s Sustainability Committee at the flagpoles educating students on plastic water bottles and giving away freebies!
- 7:00pm – Beyond Nuclear Presentation – Location: Chemistry Building room 1720
Kevin Kamps, nuclear waste expert will be giving a presentation on the latest information regarding the numerous nuclear issues facing our country and south west Michigan. Topics include the disaster in Japan, nuclear recycling, local nuclear facilities, and the upcoming shipment of nuclear waste through the Great Lakes.
Thursday April 14th
- 1:00pm – Campus Involvement – Location: Flagpoles
Activities for this day will focus on campus improvement, join us at the Flagpoles for freebies and activities. Students will also be present to help fix up bikes that need some love.
Friday April 15-18th
- Power Shift 2011! Join us at Power Shift 2011 in Washington, DC. Registration is still going on, please contact joe[at]powershift2011.org for more information.
Saturday April 22nd – Earth Day
- The Office of Sustainability will be hosting events with details to come to celebrate Earth Day sometime during the afternoon.